Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Party Politics in America 12th Edition

I must first say that this is just my opinion, and is just me exercising my right to do so. I'm referring to my opinion of a text book that I am being required to read for my education in party politics in America. The text by Marjorie Randon Hershey, Party Politics in America: 12th Edition, is perhaps the scariest thing in the world to me. This text is being used as academic material to study party politics. What scares me, is the bias that is present in this, "Academic," piece of work. I refer specifically to Randon's table 1.1, in which, she displays the differences in the parties, in the early 2000's. Her findings are basically her own opinion, and her wording is outright misleading. She states that the difference in the Democrat's and Republican's core beliefs. For Democrats, "A strong government provides needed services and remedies inequalities." For Republicans, "A strong government interferes with business and threatens freedom." May I emphasize her choice of words, "threatens freedom." I am not a Republican. I am by all means independent. I am adamantly against the party's influence in our government. I am so against party politics in our government for the very reason that Marjorie Randon Hershey has given me. One party can influence the education of people's minds and replace a student's education to learn how to think with education on what to think. Rather than conversion, we have subversion and it is disgusting to me that such a thing can be left unchecked and accepted as "education." The danger of such a text is in its choice of words. Every comparison down the line presents the Republicans in a negative context and the Democrats in a positive one. I'm not even saying that this is intentional, but I am saying that it is prevalent. Either it was simply poor word choice, or it is bias, and presents a skewed look at the topic at hand. Overall, I find it to be a either a very poor attempt at an object assessment of party politics in America, or it is a very comprehensive, but subjectively biased assessment. To me, both choices make it a very poor decision as to being a text presented as academic truth.

No comments: